Thursday, January 31, 2008

A simple conversation in English

I've mentioned the last lesson was with Nina alone. We worked intensively on the dialogue about the concert and about 15 minutes from the end of the session - I'm as punctilious about a prompt ending as therapists are, I think it is ritualistically important - I had a moment of sheer panic: "What on earth are we going to do now? It was only a couple of seconds, but I could feel my temperature rising. As I've reported, I asked her about her family and although that involved giving her uncle, aunt etc. what I was really trying to do was have a normal conversation, asking the sort of questions one does. With a lot of support from me, including the odd word of Russian that can back to me from the remote past, she managed quite well. I hope as she walked home she might have been thinking: "I've just had a simple conversation in English."

No comments: